Child Custody Lawyer
A major concern for many parents in a divorce case is child custody. Sometimes, even when the parents are in agreement about custody, visitation (or parenting time) is an issue.
At the KennonLegal Ltd. LLP, law firm, our Austin child custody lawyer has more than twenty years of experience assisting clients with child custody concerns. We find that parents and the court are interested in the same result — the best interests of the child. Parents may differ on how to obtain that result.
Contact an Austin child custody attorney who will explain your rights and obligations as a parent. Your KennonLegal Ltd. LLP lawyer will also explain the law and the reality of your situation.
Child custody (and joint child custody) is determined by the particular circumstances of the family.
- Who has been the child’s primary caretaker?
- What are the children’s ages? Children under age 12 are not consulted about custody decisions.
- What is the parent’s availability? A parent with unusual work hours, frequently changing work hours, or a lot of work-related travel obligations may not be the best choice for primary custody.
- What is the Texas standard possession order? Texas has a standard for custody and visitation time to assure non-custodial parental rights. The Texas standard can be modified to fit the needs of a specific family situation.
- Is domestic violence or abuse involved in the divorce?
If you have questions about your rights and obligations as a parent, contact a child custody lawyer at the KennonLegal Ltd. LLP, divorce and child custody law firm.
For more information, see our Child Custody and Visitation Information Center.